Openshaw, a township in Manchester city, on the Manchester and Stockport Canal, and on the M.S. & L.R. It has two stations on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Manchester. Acreage, including Little Droylesden, 579; population, 23,927. There are extensive engineering and numerous iron works, besides large railway works. The Whitworth trustees have erected splendid baths, library, and reading and recreation rooms in the centre of the township. The township is divided into two ecclesiastical parishes, viz.-StBarnabas, constituted in 1839, population, 11,715; and St Clements, Higher Openshaw, constituted in 1881; population, 9885. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester; values, £300, with residence. There are several dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chorlton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Openshaw from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Openshaw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: