North Meols, Lancashire
Meols, North, a township and a parish in Lancashire. The township contains the town of Southport and the hamlets of Marshside, Crossens (now incorporated in the borough of Southport), and Banks. Acreage, 17,421, of which 8954 are foreshore; population, 43,026. North Meols Hall, standing in a park of 30 acres, is the property of the Hesketh family. The parish contains also the township of Birkdale, and comprises 10,682 acres of land and 10,552 of foreshore; population, 55,413. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Liverpool; gross value, £550 with residence. The parish church stands at Churchtown; consists of nave, aisles, and chance], with tower and spire; and contains monuments to the Heskeths and the Fleetwoods. The original church was built in the time of William the Conqueror. See SOUTHPORT.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Meols St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Ormskirk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Meols from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Meols, North (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: