Newton (Manchester), Lancashire
Newton, a suburb and a township in Manchester city, lying to the NE, aud traversed by the L. & Y.R. The township is all in Manchester parish; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Manchester and two stations on the Manchester and Oldham branch of the L. & Y.R., of the name of Dean Lane and Newton Heath. Acreage, 1585; population, 36,834. The manor comes earlier into notice than most other places in the vicinity of Manchester, appears to have been held for some time by the Byrons of Clayton, and passed to the collegiate church of Manchester. Culcheth Hall is now the only considerable antiquity; was the seat of the family of Culcheth till they died out in the first half of the 17th century; passed to Sir John Byron of Royton, to John Whitworth, Esq., and to the family of Greaves; and is now so modernized and altered as to retain no more of the original structure than a wainscoted room. The township contains several large cotton and silk mills, several large chemical and iron works, and some dye and bleach works, and has a police office, a public library and reading-room, and a mechanics' institute. The township is divided into four ecclesiastical parishes-viz., All Saints (population, 11,401), St Anne's (formed in 1883, population, 6213), St Augustine's (formed in 1889, population, 7293), and St Mark's (formed in 1885, population, 4029). All Saints ecclesiastical parish dates from ancient times; originally included not only all Newton township, but also Droylsden, Failsworth, Bradford, and part of Moston; was curtailed at various periods, particularly in 1814; and was reconstituted within less extensive limits than those of the township in 1854. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £400 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Manchester. The livings of St Anne's and St Mark's are also rectories, and tliat of St Augustine is a vicarage, all in the diocese of Manchester; net value of St Anne's, £272; of St Augustine, £250; gross value of St Mark's, £267. Patron of all three, the Bishop. The church of All Saints is a substantial stone building in the Pointed style, has a magnificent stained glass window, and contains 1000 sittings. There are several chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Manchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton (Manchester) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: