Oving, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands on an eminence, 4½ miles S of Winslow station on the Oxford, Banbury, and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ NNW of Aylesbury, and is a scattered place. It has a post office under Aylesbury; money order and telegraph office, North Marston. Acreage of parish, 990; population, 8ff4. There is a parish council. Oving House is the seat of the Pratt family, and occupies a commanding site overlooking the vale of Aylesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £216 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is au ancient building of stone chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, and western tower. It has some good stained windows. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a small charity.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oving All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1733; burials from 1678, and marriages from 1780.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone principally in the Early English style and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, south aisle and small modern north transept, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells, re-hung since 1882: the brass of Thomas Richardson, rector here 1505-23, is now lost: there are two piscinae, and the remains of rood stairs in the south aisle and a screen of Perpendicular date: in the aisle is a Decorated niche: the church was restored in 1867, the clerestory windows renewed, the south and east walls of the chancel were rebuilt, a new open roof of pine fixed and a carved oak screen placed in the south arch: the reredos, of alabaster and marble, the communion table, stalls and prayer-desk and the pulpit, an octagonal work in Ancaster stone, were all new: the restoration of the clerestory was effected at the cost of the Rev. William Henry Young M.A.. then resident curate and afterwards vicar of North Moreton, Berks, and the members of his family: the communion cloth was given by the Hon. Mrs. Caulfield Pratt (d. March, 1894), and the books by her sons and their tutor: the stained east window was erected in 1882, and more recently the four remaining chancel windows have also been filled with stained glass, one being the gift of Miss Hill, one the gift of 14 priests, and one to the memory of the Hon. Catherine Cecilia Caulfeild Pratt, d. 1894, and her son Douglas Caulfeild Pratt, d. 1888; there are two other stained windows, one of which was placed in 1889: the church was again restored in 1922 at a cost of £2,000, £300 of which was given by Henry Yates Thompson esq. J.P.: there are 230 sittings. In 1937 the church was presented with a roll of the rectors since the year 1241, the gift of Mrs. Henry Yates Thompson.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Oving was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oving from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oving (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oving are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online