Oakley, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire. The village stands 2 miles S of Muswell Hill at the boundary with Oxfordshire, 6½ NW of Thame station on The Maidenhead and Oxford section of the G.W.R., and 10 W by N from Oxford. It has a post office under Thame; money order and telegraph office, Brill. The parish comprises 2806 acres; population of the civil parish, 449; of the ecclesiastical, 445. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Aubrey family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £260 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Transitional, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a low western tower, surmounted at the SE angle by a stair-turret with a bold finial, and contains monuments of Admiral Tyrrel and James Tyrrel, author of a " History of England." There are poor's pasture-lands worth about £100 a year, and other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oakley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1704.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small but ancient building of stone in the Transitional, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, and an arcade of five bays separating it from the north aisle, south transept, and a low western tower containing 4 bells and having a stair turret at the south-east angle rising above the tower and capped with a spirelet and finial: in the south transept is a stained window of three lights, and on the outside wall is a cinquefoiled arch over a sepulchral recess: in the north aisle are two tombs of the 14th century, one of which bears a cross finely carved on the upper slab, and on the other are traces of a brass; the north and south walls of the chancel retain Decorated piacinae, and the south transept a hagioscope and an ancient stone locker: in 1885 the chancel was entirely rebuilt at the sole expense of Charles Aubrey Aubrey esq.; in 1886 the interior wall entirely refloored and reseated, and in 1889 the Manor aisle was restored end a new pulpit, lectern and a font cover were provided: the church was further restored in 1909 by Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher, 4th bart. to whom there is a brass tablet erected by the parishioners: there are 165 sittings, most of which are free. In the churchyard is a stone memorial to 23 men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Oakley was in Thame Registration District from 1837 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oakley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oakley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oakley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online