Newton Longville, Buckinghamshire
Newton Longville or Newaston Longville, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Bletchley Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. main line, and 10 ESE of Buckingham, and took the latter part of its name from a priory founded in the time of Henry I. as a cell to the Cluniac abbey of St Faith at Longueville in Normandy, and given in 1415 to New College, Oxford. It has a post office under Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Bletchley station. The parish comprises 1735 acres; population, 415. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to New College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £330 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone, partly Early English, partly Perpendicular; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and N chapel, with porches and ½V tower, having a clock on N side; has on the outer wall a statue of St Faith; and contains piscina;, credence shelves, and an ancient font. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels. Grocyn, the tutor of Erasmus, was rector, and a brass tablet was erected in 1889 in the church to his memory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newnton-Longville St. Faith|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1560.
Church of England
St. Faith (parish church)
The church of St. Faith is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, with aisle or chapel on the north, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells: the piers and arches of the nave are 12th century, rebuilt in the 15th century, and the tower arch is 15th century work: the chancel, clerestory and aisles are Perpendicular, and on the exterior east wall of the chancel is a figure of St. Faith: there are piscinae and credence shelves in the aisles as well as in the chancel, and one of those in the chancel bears the arms of William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester (1367-1405) and founder of New College, Oxford: the south aisle retains a niche: the font, which is Norman, restored in 1860, stands on eight shafts and has an old carved oak cover: in the south aisle is an arched recess, containing the head of a knight in mail armour; there is a list of the rectors from 1236: in the chancel is a modern mural brass to William Grocyn B.D.: the church was thoroughly restored during the period 1881-91, and again in 1926: there are 280 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newton Longville was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Longville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newnton-Longville (St. Faith))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newton Longville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online