Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire
Newport Pagnell, a market and a union town and parish in Bucks. The town stands on the Roman road from Linford to Bedford, at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Looat, 3¾ miles W of the boundary with Beds, 4 ENE of Wolverton Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. main line, 14½ NE of Buckingham, and 50 from London. It has a station on the L. & N.W.R. and a head post office. It took the latter part of its name from the family of Paganel, who owned the manor in the time of William Rufus; it had a castle of the Paganels, and also a Cluniac priory or cell founded by the Paganels; it was a seat of assizes from the time of Henry III. till that of Henry VI.; it was taken in 1643 for the Parliament by the Earl of Essex, and was garrisoned in 1645 by Sir Samuel Luke, supposed to be the " Hudibras " of Butler; it is now the head of a petty sessional division and county court district and a polling-place. The town occupies a rising ground commanding a large expanse of fine country, and is well built, containing many neat modern houses. It has a bank, some good inns, a county police station, public rooms, two bridges, a church, four dissenting chapels, a mission-room, a public cemetery, a Masonic hall, a working-men's club, three suites of almshouses, and a workhouse. The manor before coming to the Paganels was held by Fitz Ausculph, and it passed from the Paganels to the Someries and others. It now belongs to the Newby family. The castle probably stood near the church. The Cluniac priory stood on the spot now occupied by Tickford Abbey, a fine mansion of stone standing in a small park. One of the bridges is a light iron structure over the Lovat, and the other is a handsome stone structure with a long causeway over the Ouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is a large and handsome edifice of stone in the Early English and later styles; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, N and S porches, with pinnacled tower; has ten handsome stained glass windows, an ancient brass of 1440, and a beautiful churchyard. The churchyard contains an epitaph by Cowper to T. A. Hamilton. The dissenting chapels are Congregational, Baptist, Friends', and Wesleyan. A theological academy was founded in 1764, but is now extinct. The public cemetery is pleasantly situated near The church, was opened in 1861, and has a neat brick mortuary chapel. Queen Anne's Hospital was founded about 1280 by John de Somerie and refounded by Queen Anne of Denmark. The old building of stone was replaced by a new one of brick in 1892. Revis's Almshouses were erected in 17G3, are for seven persons, and have an endowed income of £190. The Congregational chapel almshouses were founded and endowed in 1851 by Miss Charlotte Beaty, and form a neat building with accommodation for four persons. The workhouse, a building of red brick erected in 1836, has capacity for 274 persons. There are charities worth about £140 a year. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; fairs are held on the nearest market-day to 22 Feb. and on 22 June. There are two weekly newspapers. Humphrey the theologian was a native.
The parish includes the hamlet of Caldecot, 1½ mile SE, and comprises 3396 acres of land and 36 of water; population, 3788. The parish council consists of eleven members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newport-Pagnell St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Newport Pagnall 1558-1837, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
SS. Paul and Peter (parish church)
The church of SS. Paul and Peter, situated on high ground at the top of the High street, is a noble edifice of stone, in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, of Perpendicular date, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 9 bells, to which chimes were added in 1887; the bells were all re-cast in 1911 in commemoration of the Coronation of King George V.: the north porch, dating from the reign of Edward III is the oldest part of the building, and over it is a priest's room: in 1926 the side galleries wera removed: the south porch has fine Early English arcading, and there is a sedilia in the south aisle: in the nave the original position of the rood loft is distinctly marked, and there are traces of the rood loft door: the whole of the nave roof was restored 1934-35, owing to destruction caused by the death-watch beetle: there are ten stained windows, one of which is a memorial to Robert Collison, surgeon, who died April 3rd, 1860, and another in the tower was erected to the late Dr. Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford (1846-70), and of Winchester (1870-73), who died 19 July, 1873: there is a brass in the church, much worn, to a civilian, c. 1400: the pulpit, presented by Mrs. Oliver Massey, is of carved oak supported on a stone pedestal; an open screen of carved oak separates the chancel from the nave: in 1867 an organ chamber was built at the end of the north aisle and a new organ placed in it, the gift of George Cooch esq. who also gave the oak choir stalls: the organ was enlarged in 1905: the church was restored in 1828 and in 1880: the nave and aisles were reseated in the year 1880, the chancel in 1894, in memory of Mrs. Taylor: a caned oak and painted reredos was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Mrs. Maul: in 1905 a large vestry was added at the north-east angle of the church: in 1921 an oak screen was erected in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, in whose memory also a cross on a pedestal was built near the church: the church now affords 1,000 sittings: in the churchyard is an epitaph by Cowper to Thomas Abbott Hamilton, 1788.
Newport Pagnell was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newport Pagnell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newport-Pagnell (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newport Pagnell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online