Nash, a township in Whaddon parish, Bucks, 5½ miles E of Buckingham, and 6 from Wolverton station on the L.& N.W.R. It has a post office under Stony Stratford; money order and telegraph office, Stony Stratford. Acreage, 1247; population, 306. The township forms chief part of the chapelry of Thomton-cum-Nash, and contains the church of that chapelry, a small but beautiful building of stone in the Gothic style, erected in 1857-58. It has a Baptist chapel and some small charities. There is a chalybeate spring in the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1861.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a small but elegant edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and north porch, and a turret containing one bell: the chancel was consecrated in 1858, and the rest of the church in 1861: the east and west windows are stained: there are 220 sittings. On the churchyard wall is a war shrine, built of white stone, on which are inscribed the names of 5 men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Nash was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nash)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online