Mursley, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 1½ mile ESE of Swanbourne station on the Bletchley and Oxford branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 3½ miles E by N of Winslow; was once a market-town, and has a post office under Winslow; money order and telegraph office, Winslow. The parish contains also the hamlet of Salden, which is 1 mile NE. Acreage, 2975; population, 369. The manor belongs to the Selby Lowndes family. A mansion of the Fortescue family stood at Salden, but was taken down in 1743. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £250 with residence. The church stands on an eminence with a commanding view, and is a building of stone-in the Decorated or Third-pointed style, with a very ancient embattled western tower. It contains some ancient brasses. and monuments. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mursley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1578.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of stone in the Decorated or Third-pointed style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, in part of Early English date and containing 6 bells: the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of four arches on either side: the stained west window in the tower was presented by the late Mrs. Pitkin in memory of her husband, who died in 1862: the reredos is elaborately adorned with paintings: in the chancel is a monument to Sir John Fortescue kt. M.P. Chancellor of the Exchequer, ob. 1607, with kneeling effigies in alabaster, coloured, of himself and his wife, facing each other; there is also a similar monument, with kneeling effigies, to his son, Sir Francis Fortescue K.B., M.P. sheriff of Bucks, and below, on a slab of black marble, a brass, with effigy, to Cecilia, wife of John Fortescue, ob. 1570: there is a brass plate erected in memory of Lt. M. E. Selby-Lowndes, who lost his life in the Great War, 1914-18: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia: there are also piscinae in the north and south aisles: the church was thoroughly restored in 1867 and affords 215 sittings.
The Baptist chapel, which stands at the bottom of the village, was erected in 1883 and will seat 150 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Mursley was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mursley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mursley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mursley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cSalden
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online