Moulsoe, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands on a beautiful, high, and healthy situation, 1-½ mile W of the boundary with Beds, 1¼ E of the river Ouzel, 3 miles SE of Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 6 NNE of Fenny Stratford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Newport Pagnell. The parish comprises 1654 acres; population, 214. The manor belongs to Lord Carrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £100 with residence. Patron, Lord Carrington. The church, an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, has two ancient brasses of 1530 and a restored side chapel, with other features of restoration.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moulsoe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Moulsoe 1559-1837, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of eight bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: the eastern end of the north aisle was anciently St. Joseph's chapel: some of the windows are of very good design, but the tracery is not in every case perfect: there are brasses of a man in armour and a female supposed, to represent Richard Ruthall, 1528, and his wife; the marginal inscription is lost: in 1897 two stained windows were erected and a carved reredos and pulpit provided: during the period 1885-90 the Lady Chapel in the south aisle and the porch were restored, at a cost of £540, a two-manual organ was dedicated in 1920 in memory of the six men of the parish who lell in the Great War, 1914-18; there is also a memorial erected by the Marquess of Lincolnshire K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G. to his only son, Lt. Lord Wendover, and to 36 other officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Horse Guards who fell at Ypres in 1915; it takes the form of oak panelling on the church wall, surmounted by a marble tablet to Lord Wendover, an old kettle-drum banner, set under glass, and a silver trumpet and banner; on the oak panelling the 37 names are inscribed in gold lettering: the church was reseated in 1927 and restored in 1928: a decorated gate was erected to commemorate the 25 years' reign of H.M. King George V: a tablet was placed in the church recording the event: there are 170 sittings: there is a list of rectors from the year 1233.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Moulsoe was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moulsoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Moulsoe (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Moulsoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online