Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire
Marsh Gibbon, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire. The village stands near the Oxford and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., 1 mile S from Marsh Gibbon and Poundon station, 1 E of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 2½ miles N of Akeman Street, and 4½ E by N of Bicester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bicester. The parish comprises 2818 acres; population, 696. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of seven members. The manor and much of the land belong to the trustees of the Eweime Almshouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £440 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transept, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There are a Congregational chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marsh-Gibbon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1576.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, with Perpendicular and later additions; and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: the south transept, called also the Ickford chapel, has a fine window of Perpendicular date, and in the north wall is a stone coffin lid carved with a floriated cross: there are three piscinae in the transepts, and monuments to the Guy, Horwood and Townsend families: the chancel was restored by the Rev. T. H. Green, a former rector, in 1860, and the church generally in 1880, at a cost of £2,000, when a new roof was fixed, the north aisle added and the tower rebuilt, and in 1893 a new stone reredos and a stained east window were placed in the chancel at a cost of £160: there are 250 sittings. In the churohyard is the base of an ancient cross, and also a granite cross, mounted on a rectangular base, on which are inscribed the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Marsh Gibbon was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marsh Gibbon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marsh-Gibbon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marsh Gibbon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online