Clayton le Moors, Lancashire
Clayton-le-Moors, a township and a parish in Lancashire, 1½ mile from Accrington station on the L. & Y.R., and 5½ miles NE of Blackburn, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Accrington. Acreage, 1059; population, 7155. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £335 with residence. Patrons, trustees. The church is modern. There are Baptist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, also a New Jerusalem church, a Mechanics' Institute, and Conservative and Liberal clubs. There are cotton mills, soap works, engineering works, corn mills, and calico printing works.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blackburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clayton le Moors from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clayton-Le-Moors)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: