Luffield Abbey, Buckinghamshire
Luffield Abbey, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish in Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire, near Whittlebury Forest, 6½ miles NNW of Buckingham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Towcester. Acreage, 216; population, 7. A Benedictine priory was founded. herein 1124 by Robert Ie Rossu, Earl of Leicester; was given by Henry VII. to the Abbot of Westminster; and passed to the Throckmortons and the Duke of Buckingham. No remains of the edifice now exist.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Luffield Abbey was in Buckingham Registration District from 1844 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Luffield Abbey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Luffield-Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online