Loughton, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands on Watling Street, adjacent to the L. & N.W.B., which has a siding for goods here, 2¾ miles SSE of Wolverton station, and 3½ SE of Stony Stratford, and has a post office under Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Stantonbury. The parish comprises 1536 acres; population, 348. The manor belongs to the Cadmans. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style; consists of nave, S aisle, and chance], with W tower, and contains tablets to the Crane and the Athawes families. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Loughton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1707.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style with Perpendicular windows, and consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: the tower opens to the nave by a bold arch with three shafts on each side: in the chancel are tablets to the Crane and Athawes families, and a brass to Hugh Parke, rector 1485; and above the communion table is a painting, by Gonzales, of the Two Disciples at Emmaus, presented by the Rev. John Athawes, rector from 1833: the greater portion of the church as well as the choir was reseated in 1886: in 1925 the chancel and nave were redecorated: an organ was erected in 1864: a stained window was erected on the north side of the church in 1910 by Mr. Henry Negus, in memory of his wife, and another window was inserted in 1911 by the rector in memory of his parents: in 1926 a tablet was erected in memory of those parithioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1928 an oak screen was erected across the belfry arch: the windows and parapets of the south aisle were restored in 1930: there are 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Loughton was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Loughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Loughton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Loughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online