Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire
Long Crendon, a large parish in Buckinghamshire, on the river Thame, adjacent to the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 miles N from Thame station on the G.W.R., and 4½ SE from Brill. It has a post and money order office under Thame; telegraph office, Thame. Acreage, 3348; population, 1187. The village, which consists chiefly of one long main street, has numerous picturesque old houses, one of which, known as Staple Hall, dates from a period earlier than the reign of Henry VII. Notley Abbey was founded in 1162 by William Giffard, second Earl of Buckingham, and the remains of it are now included in a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £250 with residence. The church, a fine cruciform building in the Early English and Decorated styles, has an Early Perpendicular font, a rose window erected and filled with stained glass in 1890, and some interesting monuments. There are also Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Crendon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a large quciform building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, transepts, aisles, north, south and west porches with stone seats, and an embattled central tower of Perpendicular date, with hexagonal turret at the north-west andgle and containing 8 bells, recast in 1768: the fabric still retains many portions of Early English work, especially in the chancel and north transept: the east window, originally consisting of three lancets, was debased some time after 1740, but in 1890 a new rose window of Early Decorated character was erected and fllled with stained glass by Mr. Herbert Dodwell, of The Manor, as a memorial to his mother: the side windows are still lancets, and there is an Early English piscina, with stone shelf, in the south wall, and a low stone sedile on the south side: in the north aisle is a Decorated niche with crocketed canopy, and in 1921 a crucifix was added in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the rood screen, a Perpendicular work, was taken down in 1835 and converted into a pew, now removed: the stone font is Early Perpendicular: its basin is surrounded with sunk quatrefoils inclosing heads of saints and angels, and the base is carved with lions and foliage: the tower piers were strengthened, c. 1626, and again in 1897: during the Civil war the tower appears to have been made use of for military purposes and observation: in the south transept, which is parted from the rest of the church by a heavy oaken screen, is an altar tomb with a canopy supported on columns of black marble, and recumbent effigies to Sir John Dormer, of Dorton, ob. 11 Mar. 1626, and his wife, daughter of John Gyffard, of Chillington, ob. 9 Sept. 1605: the tomb was restored at a considerable expense out of the charity funds by order of the judge of the county court: there are also in the north transept two other monuments and brasses to John Canon, 1460, and Agnes, his wife, 1468, with 11 children: some years since the skeleton of one of the monks of Notley, sewn up in folds of stout leather, together with a rosary, were found in a brick vaulted grave in the nave: the church was partially restored in 1890-91, since when the north and south transepts and the pillars have been restored: the church was again restored in 1928: an early 15th century roof was discovered in the chancel behind a plastered barrel ceiling inserted early in the 18th century: there are 225 sittings.
The Baptist chapel was first founded in 1799; the present building, erected in 1853, will seat 320 persons, and has attached a large burial ground.
The Methodist chapel, built in 1866, has 150 sittings.
Long Crendon was in Thame Registration District from 1837 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Crendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Crendon, Long (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Crendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online