Broughton, a township, a village, and a parish in Lancashire, adjacent to the Preston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles N of Preston, with a station on the railway jointly with Barton, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Preston. Acreage of township, 2356; population, 610. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, in the gift of trustees; net value, £190 with residence. The church is dedicated to St John the Baptist. The tower is good and dates from 1533. The nave was rebuilt in 1826, and there are a Roman Catholic chapel and school, and also a .grammar school founded in the reign of Henry VIII. with an endowment producing £120 a year. The parish also contains the hamlets of Church, Ingol Head, Durton, Lightfoot Houses and Sharoe, Haighton, and part of Barton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Preston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: