UK Genealogy Archives logo

Barrowford, Lancashire

Historical Description

Barrowford, a township, a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Whalley, Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nelson. Acreage, 2365; population of the township. 4776; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4803. The Duke of Buccleuch is lord of the manor. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £343 with residence. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is modern, and there are four dissenting chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLancashire 
Civil parishWhalley 
HundredBlackburn 
Poor Law unionBurnley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Barrowford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Barrowford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online:

DistrictPendle
CountyLancashire
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBB9
Post TownNelson