Aldingham, a parish in Lancashire, on Morecambe Bay, 4 miles from Dalton railway station, and 5 S by W of Ulverstone. It includes the villages of Gleaston, Leece, and Dendron, and the hamlets of Baycliff, Scales, and Newbiggin with Roosebeck. The first three now form a separate parochial district with church at Dendron, formerly a chapelry of Aldingham. Post town, Ulverstone; money order office, Dalton; telegraph office, Bardsea. Acreage, 4812; population, 1151. The manor belongs to the Crown. Much land formerly in the parish has been carried off by the sea. Gleaston Castle, now a ruin of three towers, with connecting walls, was a seat of the Le Flemings, and of the Duke of Suffolk, the father of Lady Jane Grey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; yearly value, £750 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is very good. The living of Dendron is a separate benefice. There is a Congregational chapel at Gleaston. Aldingham Hall is a mansion in the Tudor style of architecture, and commands fine views of Morecambe Bay. There are stone quarries in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aldingham St. Cuthbert|
|Hundred||Lonsdale north of the Sands|
|Poor Law union||Ulverston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Registers of Aldingham in Furness 1542-1695, are available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aldingham (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: