Lillingstone Lovell, Buckinghamshire
Lillingstone Lovell, a parish in Oxfordshire, adjacent to the boundary with Northamptonshire, 4½ miles N by E of Buckingham station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order office, Buckingham; telegraph office, Whittlebury. Acreage, 1667; population, 156. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £230 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and ivy-covered tower; had formerly chantry chapels; and contains sedilia, a piscina, three brasses, and several monuments. There are some small charities.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with saddle-back roof, and containing a clock and 4 bells: the east end of each aisle was formerly a chantry chapel, and the piseinae and sedilia remain: there are brasses to John Merston, rector, 1446, with two hands holding up a bleeding heart; Thomas Clavell and Agnes, his wife, 1460, with three children; and William Rysley and Agnes, his wife, c. 1516, and several monuments to former proprietors: the church was restored in 1891 at a cost of £1,100, and affords 140 sittings.
Lillingstone Lovell was in Buckingham Registration District from 1844 to 1935
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lillingstone Lovell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online