Lavendon, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 1 mile W of the river Onse, at the boundary with Beds, 3 miles NE from Oiney station on the M.R., and 8 NW from Newport PagnelL It was once a market-town, and has a post and money order office under Newport Pagnell; telegraph office, Turvey. Acreage of the civil parish, 2353; population, 654; of the ecclesiastical, with Cold Brayfield, 745. Owing to the crowded condition of the old churchyard a new cemetery was formed in 1894. The Grange is the seat of the Brookes family. A Premonstratensian canonry was founded here in the time of Henry II. by John de Bidun, and was given at the dissolution to Sir Edmund Peckham. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Cold Bray-field, in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £200. The church is a building of stone, said to be partly Saxon and partly of later date, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and contains four piscinae, and some ancient brasses and monuments. A new organ was placed in the churcli in 1892. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lavendon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1574.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled tower, reputed to be of Saxon origin, and containing a clock and 5 bells: the east window and the easternmost on the south side of the chancel are Perpendicular and on the same side is a Perpendicular piscina: the chancel arch is plain: the south arcade of the nave consists of three acute but plain arches springing from round piers with square imposts: the arches in the northern arcade are similar but less lofty and are all of Transition Norman character: in the south aisle is a recessed niche and a piscina: the south doorway is Early Engliih, with a Perpendicular porch and parvise over it: the font is octagonal, with panelled tracery and flowers on the side of the basin: there are mural tablets in memory of two former rectors, dated respectively 1654 and 1670, and inscribed brasses to Katherine, wife of Thomas Newton esq. 1680, and to James, eldest son of Thomas Newton esq. and barrister of the Inner Temple, 1690: the stained east window was given by Mr. Benjamin S. Brookes, of the Grange, and another by Mr. H. Coles; a window was placed in memory of Mr. H. H. Hulse in 1938: on the west wall is a tablet in memory of the Rev. H. S. Davis, a former rector: the church was thoroughly restored in 1859: the tower was restored in 1927-8: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Lavendon was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lavendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lavendon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lavendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online