UK Genealogy Archives logo

Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire

Historical Description

Langley Marish, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire. The village stands near the G.W.R., 3½ miles NE by E of Windsor, and 2 E from Slough, and has a station on the railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Slough, both of the name of Langley. The parish contains also part of Colnbrook, and bears the alternative name of St Mary. Acreage, 3937; population of the civil parish, 2474; of the ecclesiastical, 1898. The manor, with Langley Park, belonged to the Crown, was given by Charles I. to Sir John Kederminster, and belongs now to the Harvey family. The present mansion was built in 1755 by the third Duke of Marlborough, is a spacious edifice in a finely-wooded park of about 380 acres, and contains a rich collection of pictures. The Black Park, the property of the Harveys, on rising ground in the N, comprises 530 acres, is almost wholly covered with firs, and contains a sombre-looking lake. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value,, £325 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. There are almshouses for twelve persons and charities worth about £100 a year. The church has a nave partly Norman, a chancel and an aisle in Early Decorated English, with two good Early English windows, and a tower built by the Kederminsters in 1649. A small theological library was founded by Sir John Kederminster, is placed over the S porch, and is free to the clergymen of the county.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBuckinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishLangley-Marish St. Mary 
Poor Law unionEton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1643.


Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is an edifice of flint and stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel and library, and an embattled western tower of brick, erected in 1649 and containing a clock and 5 bells; portions of the nave date from about 1200: some of the windows are Decorated: the chancel is 15th century and retains sedilia of that period, and there is a late Perpendicular rood screen: the font has an octagonal basin, with quatrefoil panels: the chancel is separated from the nave by an oak screen and there are two stained windows, that in the north aisle being in memory of G. Lloyd esq. J.P.: Sir John Kederminster, a former owner of the Langley estate, obtained a grant from the Dean and Canons of Windsor about 1631 to erect a pew or chapel adjoining the church, and also gave a small library containing books of divinity, which is for the free use of the clergymen of the county and parish: the library leads out from the pew and contains the original bookcases: most of the books date from between 1400 and 1700: there is also an illuminated manuscript of the 11th century: the library is controlled by a body of trustees: in the chapel are monuments to Darid Harvey, 1788; Robert Bateson Harvey, 1825; a brass to Thomas Harvey, 1802; and other memorials to Louisa Harvey, 1823; Sara Richardson, 1824; Sophie Harvey, 1936; Charles Harvey, 1845; Robert Harvey esq, J.P. d. May. 1863; and Diana Jane (Creyke), wife of Sir Robert B. Harvey, d. 1866, and Sir Robert Bateson Harvey, d. 23 March. 1B87: in the chancel is a monument, with kneeling figures, to John Kederminster, his wife, 2 sons and 3 daughters, 1558, and another to Edmund Kedermister, his wife, 3 sons, 5 daughters and 4 infants laid by their side, 1607: there are 460 sittings, 180 being free.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Langley Marish was in Eton Registration District from 1837 to 1934

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Langley Marish from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.


Online maps of Langley Marish are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:

Villages, Hamlets, &c

Horsemor Green

Visitations Heraldic

A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online