Kingsey, a village and a parish in the union and county court district of Thame, till recently partly in Bucks and partly in Oxfordshire, but by the Local Government Act of 1894 placed wholly in the latter county. The village stands 2 miles ENE of Thame station on the G.W.R. Post town and telegraph office, Thame; money order office, Hadden-ham. The parish contains also the liberty of Tythrop, and comprises 1431 acres; population, 190. The manor and most of the parish, belong to the Wykeham family. Tythrop House is a fine mansion standing in a well-timbered park of about 120 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is a beautiful new Gothic building of stone, and dedicated by the Bishop of Oxford in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingsey St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in 1892-3, is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, much of the material of the former church, built about 1780, being used in the reconstruction; it consists of chancel, nave, organ chamber, vestry, and a tower with spire containing 3 bells: an organ was erected in 1894: a stained east window was added in 1901: in 1923 a stained glass west window was added as a thanksgiving for the safe return of men from the parish who served in the Great War, 1914-18; below this window is a memorial stone tablet and an illuminated roll of honour commemorating those who fell: a reredos of oak was presented by P. J. D. Wykeham esq. in 1904: there are 160 sittings: part of an earlier church surmised to date from the 13th century was discovered in the belfry.
Kingsey was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1933 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingsey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kingsey (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kingsey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online