Illmire or Ilmer, a parish in Bucks, near Icknield Street and the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 miles NW from Princes Risborough station on the G.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Princes Risborough. Acreage, 698; population, 48. The manor belongs to General Paper. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Horsendon, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is Early Perpendicular, and was restored and partly rebuilt in 1859-60, and again in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Illmire St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1660.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a wooden belfry with a spire of oak shingle at the west end containing 3 bells. The nave dates rom the 12th century; the chancel was rebuilt in the 14th: a blocked doorway led to a southern transept long since demolished: the 14th century piscina and the late 15th century rood screen still remain, and there is a mediaeval stone font: in the chancel are two ancient pieces of sculpture, one representing the Trinity and the other the legend of St. Christopher: the chancel was rebuilt and the nave restored in 1859-60, at the cost of the Rev. William Edwards Partridge, vicar, and further restored in 1893, when the north porch was added. In 1909 the former unsightly wooden belfry was replaced by the present belfry and spire. A stained east window was erected in 1910 to the memory of Miss Martha Belgrove and another in 1933 to the memory of Mrs. Jaques: there is a war memorial on the south wall: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Ilmer was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1934
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ilmer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Illmire (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ilmer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online