Ickford, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village is 1½ mile from Tiddington station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles NW from Thame. It has a post office under Thame; money order office, Worminghall; telegraph office, Thame. It is asserted by some historians that it was at Ickford that Edward the Elder in 907 treated with the Danes, but others assign the place of meeting to Itchingford. Acreage of the entire parish, 1025; population, 345. The manor belongs to the Stephenson family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £330 with residence. The church is of different dates, but chiefly Early English; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with W tower; and contains an Early English piscina. There is a Baptist chapel. T. Phillips, the author of a " Life of Cardinal Pole," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ickford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1561.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of St. Nicholas, is a small early 13th century building of stone in mixed styles, principally Early English and Transitional, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with saddle-back roof, containing 2 bells and a sanctus bell: in the chancel is an Early English piscina, with a projecting basin, and a low-side window, also an aumbry and a squint; there is a piscina in both the north and south aisles and a stoup in the south aisle, and the church still retains some remains of ancient glass, and a monument erected by Thomas Tipping to himself during his lifetime, curiously adorned with carving in low relief: a stained glass window in the south aisle, representing St. George and the Dragon, was placed there by the parishioners in memory of the men of the parish who, in the Great War, 1914-18, "did their duty even unto death"; a beautiful illuminated scroll underneath the window records their names: there are other memorial windows, including one in memory of the Rev. Vernon Staley, rector 1911-33; during 1907 the church was thoroughly repaired; there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Ickford was in Thame Registration District from 1886 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ickford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ickford (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ickford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online