Hulcote, a parish in Bucks, 3 miles NE from Aylesbury, which is the nearest station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Aylesbury. Acreage, 741; population, 108. The manor belongs to the Rothschild family. There is a village green planted with lime trees, and beautifully kept by the lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £170 with residence. The church is ancient but good, dating from the 13th century. There is much beauty in its architecture, and the altar is of stone with a frontal of alabaster, representing the procession to Calvary, and beautifully carved.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hulcott All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1539.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The parish church of All Saints, situated by a pleasant green shaded with trees, is an edifice in the Early English and later styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a low western turret of wood with octagonal broach spire containing 3 bells: the chancel and nave are Decorated, but the piers and arches of the nave and some other parts are plain Early English: there are piscinae in the chancel and aisle; the latter has a hagioscope, and also contains a plain altar tomb, said to be that of Benedict Lee, one of the lords of the manor, buried in 1547, but the inscription has been defaced and the brasses removed: the stained windows were the gift of the Rev. Edw. Bonus LL.M. rector 1864-1907: the church was restored in 1862-3, when the roofs were renewed, the interior refitted with oak benches and the chancel with stalls: in removing the plaster from the walls, the entrance to the rood loft was discovered built up in the southeast angle of the nave: the communion table of stone and alabaster supported on Devonshire marble columns was placed in the chancel, at the cost of the Rev. E. Bonus, who in 1898 presented a window in memory of his mother, Elizabeth Ann Bonus: there is also a stained window in the chancel and one in the lady chapel: there is a complete list of rectors commencing from 1270, which hangs in the church: there are 92 sittings, 20 of which are reserved. The churchyard has an ornamental wall with open trefoiled panels and a lych gate erected in 1860 at the cost of the lord of the manor.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hulcote was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hulcote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hulcott (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hulcote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online