Hoggeston or Hogston, a village and a parish in Bucks, near the Oxford and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R., 3½ miles SE of Winslow station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Winslow. Acreage of parish, 1571; population, 166. The manor belongs to the Earl of Eosebery, who also owns all the land with the exception of the glebe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £326 with residence. Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Transition style of the 13th century, has a western tower with shingle spire, and contains a mutilated effigy, thought to be of Sir William de Bermingham, who in the 14th century founded a chantry here. The church was fully restored in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hogston St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1547.
Church of England
The Holy Cross (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Cross is an ancient edifice of stone in the Transition style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower with shingled broach spire containing 4 bells, two of which bear the dates 1585 and 1669: it was restored, the chancel rebuilt and enlarged and fitted with carved oak stalls and the nave with oak benches in 1882: there are memorials of the Mayne family, and in a niche on the north side of the chancel an effigy, presumed to represent Sir William de Bermingham, the founder of a chantry here, holding in the hands a model of a building, perhaps representing the church: the original Decorated oak and walnut framing supporting the belfry and one of the original Norman windows on the south side of nave remain, but the latter is now blocked: there is a piscina and remains of the rood stairs in south aisle and a piscina and double sedile in chancel: on the north wall is a marble tablet bearing the names of the men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: the stone cross formerly in the churchyard is now built into the wall of the porch: the church contains a specimen of the old tussock-hassocks: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hoggeston was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hoggeston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hogston, or Hoggeston (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hoggeston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online