Hedsor, a parish in Bucks, on the rivers Thames and Wick, at the boundary with Berks, 1 mile SE from Bourne End station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles E by S from Great Marlow. Post town, Maidenhead; money order and telegraph office, Bourne End. Acreage, 542; population, 184. The manor, with Hedsor House, belongs to Lord Boston. Hedsor House was originally built in 1778 by the first Lord Boston on a plan recommended by George III., was rebuilt in 1862, is a fine mansion of white brick in the Italian style, and stands in a park with beautiful views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £79 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford one turn, and Lord Boston two turns. The church is a small building of chalk and flint in the Decorated style, and contains monuments of the Hyndes and the Parkers, and the churchyard contains the grave of Hooke, the author of a " Roman History."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hedsor St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1678; many earlier entries are included in the register, of Little Marlow.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of St. Nicholas, one of the smallest in the county, is beautifully situated on a hill 213 feet above the level of the sea, within Hedsor Park, and is a structure of chalk and flint with stone facings in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, baptistery, west porch and a belfry: according to a somewhat eccentric inscription on a tomb at the west end of the church, it was re-edified by Roland Hynd, then owner of the manor, in 1575: a north aisle was added and the church restored generally by George, 4th Lord Boston, in 1862, and a reredos of stone enriched with mosaics has since been erected: the chancel screen, of oak with brass gates, is a memorial to Florance George Henry, 5th Lord Boston who died 3rd January. 1877: there are several memorial windows, a tablet to Roland Hynd and one erected by Frederick, and Baron Boston, in 1801, to Nathaniel Hooke, author of a Roman History, who died 19th July, 1763, and is buried here: in 1886 considerable alterations were made in the church, a baptistery was erected on the site of the old porch, and a new porch built at the west end of the aisle: the stone pulpit was adorned with quatrefoils, mosaic work and marble bosses, and the interior rearranged and decorated: the church affords 150 sittings: the churchyard presents an unusually simple appearance, from the fact that all the tombstones are level with the turf, which custom has always prevailed here, these are only from 12 to 18 inches square, and simply bear names and dates.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Hedsor was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hedsor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hedsor (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hedsor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online