Haversham, a parish in Newport Pagnell, Bucks, on the river Ouse, near the Grand Junction Canal, 1¼ mile NE of Wolverton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3½ miles WSW from Newport Pagnell. It has a post office under Newport Pagnell; money order and telegraph office, Stantonbury. Acreage, 1634; population, 224. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £200 with residence. The church is of the 14th century and good, and contains a fine altar-tomb of Lady Clinton, of 1423.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haversham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1665, that of marriages from 168S, and that of burials from 1670.
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The parish church, dedication unknown, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells; the tower was restored and the bells rehung in 1903: the tower, south porch, piers and arches of nave, and one or two windows, are Early English: the south aisle, chapel, porch and the chancel windows are Decorated, and the clerestory and remaining parts of the church Perpendicular; there are eight stained windows; during the restoration in 1857 a window with decoration of c. 1170, was found above the tower arch, and piscinae in the chancel, and sedilia in the lady chapel were discovered; attached to the pulpit is a curious iron hour glass frame, supposed to date from the time of the Protectorate; on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb of alabaster, standing under a lofty and elegant double-feathered arch, enriched with crockets, and lined with panelled tracery; on the tomb is the recumbent effigy of a lady, her head resting on cushions supported by angels, and her feet on a lion; the side of the tomb is divided into six trefoil-headed niches, each containing a statuette, and above each, along the hollow verge of the tomb, a rose; the figure is believed to represent Elizabeth (de la Plaunch), who married 1st, Robert 5th Baron Grey of Rotherfield, and on his death in 1387 became the 2nd wife of Sir John de Clinton, 3rd Baron Clinton, who died in 1423; the tomb was repaired by Dorothy, wife of Maurice Thompson esq. in 1665; there is a brass to Alicia Payn, 1427, wife of Thomas Payn esq. one with a skeleton to John Mannsell, gent. 1605, several tablets to former rectors and members of the Greaves family, and a memorial window, erected in 1897, to the Rev. Arthur Bruce Frazer M.A. rector 1856-89: a carved oak eagle lectern was presented in 1867 by Miss Hooper: the organ dates from 1664 and was originally erected in Hackney parish church: in the north aisle is a brass plate on a marble mural tablet, on which are inscribed the names of 6 men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 220 sittings: the churchyard was enlarged in 1869 by a portion of land, the gift of the lord of the manor.
Haversham was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haversham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haversham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Haversham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online