Haddenham, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands near the river Thame and the boundary with Oxford, 3 miles NNE from Thame, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Thame, which is the nearest station (G.W.R.) The parish comprises 3274 acres; population, 1282. The manor belongs to the Wykeham-Musgrave family. There are two mineral springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is Norman, has a square tower, and was restored in 1864. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haddenham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1603.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin, which dates from about 1215, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with Lady chapel, nave, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing 8 bells and a clock: the upper part of the tower has Early English arcading: there are two piscinae in the church, and a third in the Lady chapel; the font is of very earliest first-pointed work, with Romanesque features: there is a monument in black marble and alabaster, in the Classic or Renaissance style, to the memory of Sir Richard Beke, of Haddenham, ob, 8 Jan. 1627: there is a brass, with effigy, to Thomas Nash, vicar 1428: the brass demi-effigy of another ecclesiastic, c. 1420, and an inscription only to Gylles Wodbryge and Elizabeth, his wife, both ob. 3 Aug. year not given, but early 16th century: on the south wall of the chancel is a marble monument to John Marriott M.A. ob. 1716, and members of his family: the silver paten and chalice, dated 1707, were his gift: suspended in the Lady chapel is an Elizabethan helmet which shows traces of having been richly gilded; in 1929 the roof of the north and south aisles were restored with oak and the interior of the western tower was reconstructed for use as a choir vestry: in 1935 a set of new hangings for the altar and sanctuary was presented by parishioners, and in the course of other renovations an ancient oak communion table dated 1707 was discovered and restored to its former use: behind this is a large recess known as an Easter Sepulchre, one of the very few to be seen in this country: the east window in the Lady chapel was restored in 1928 in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. There are 350 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Haddenham was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haddenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haddenham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Haddenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online