Great Linford, Buckinghamshire
Linford, Great, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands near the river Ouse and near Linford station on the Newport Pagnell branch of the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles WSW of Newport Pagnell, is a scattered place, and has a post office under Newport Pagnell; money order and telegraph office, Stantonbury. Acreage, 1836; population, 481. The manor belonged at Domesday to Hugo Bolebec and Walter Giffard, and belongs now to the Uthwatts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £259. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated style. It contains three ancient brasses, one of which, for Roger Hunt and Johane his wife (1473), states that he paved the church. There are a Congregational chapel and six almshouses. Richard Sandy or Napier, an astrologer and physician, was rector in years preceding 1634.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Linford St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1653; marriages, 1654; burials, 1653.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells, recast in 1756 at the expense of Sir Henry Uthwatt bt.: each has a Latin inscription; the original window tracery has been replaced by later work: the porch is of Perpendicular date: in the church there are three very fine brasses: 1, to Roger Hunt (who was perhaps a Speaker of the House of Commons) and Johane, his wife, 1473, at whose expense the church was paved, with effigies in civil dress, eight alternately rhyming lines, and an invocatory inscription; 2, Thomas Malyn and Elizabeth, his wife, 1536, with effigies in civil dress; 3, John Uvedall gent. and Anne, his wife, 1611, also in civil dress, with inscription to the latter only: there are also mural tablets to the Uthwatt family; including one erected in 1923 to W. F. E. A. Uthwatt esq. by members of the Bucks Otter Hounds. of which he was master for over 30 years: there are four stained memorial windows: an oblong marble tablet commemorates the men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War. 1914-18: the church was restored in 1884-5 and a new organ was erected in 1887: there are 220 sittings, all free.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Great Linford was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Linford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Linford, Great (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Linford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online