Great Horwood, Buckinghamshire
Horwood, Great, or Horwood-cum-Singleborough, a village, a township, and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 2 miles N by E of Winslow station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2½ NE by N of Winslow, and was once a market-town. It has a post office under Winslow; money order and telegraph office, Winslow. The parish includes also the hamlet of Singleborough, and comprises 3271 acres; population, 639. The manor belongs to New College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value,, £397 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is partly fine Decorated English, partly Perpendicular, is in good condition, has a tower, and contains three piscinas, a triple sedilia, a brass of 1487, and two monuments to the Barker family. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, charities £13, and 27 acres of land.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horwood St. James|
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1600.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The parish church of St. James is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, two north chapels (one used as a vestry, the other as an organ chamber), north and south porches and an embattled western tower with a turret at the south-west angle, terminating in a spirelet; the tower contains a clock and 6 bells and a sanctus bell: the windows of the chancel are Decorated, the nave and tower Perpendicular; the church retains four piscinae, triple sedilia, a brass to Henry Virgin, priest, dated 1487, with effigy in academical dress, and two monuments of the Barker family: in the church is a painting of St. George, bearing on his shield the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was thoroughly restored in 1874 and half an acre added to the churchyard at a total cost of £5,500; in 1885 the east window was filled with stained glass, and a reredos of mosaics erected at the cost of the Rev. Simon Thomas Adams M.A. rector 1839-89: the organ was restored in 1923: there are 448 sittings. In the churchyard wall is a war shrine presented in 1917 by Mrs. Bishop; the lych-gate was presented by Mrs. Lambton in 1910.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Great Horwood was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Horwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Horwood, Great (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Horwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cSingleborough
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online