UK Genealogy Archives logo

Yaxley, Huntingdonshire

Historical Description

Yaxley, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands 4½ miles S by W of Peterborough, and has a station on the G.N.R. It was known at Domesday as Yakesley, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Peterborough, and a fair on Holy Thursday. The parish comprises 4298 acres; population, 1304. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carysfort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £203 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a fine spacious cruciform building of rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, S porch, and an embattled western tower, partly in the Decorated, but chiefly in the Late Perpendicular style. There are also Baptist, Congregational, Free Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHuntingdonshire 
Ecclesiastical parishYaxley St. Peter 
HundredNorman-Cross 
Poor Law unionPeterborough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

Transcript of the description for Yaxley from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839

We have transcribed the entry for Yaxley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.

DistrictHuntingdonshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtPE7
Post TownPeterborough