Woodstone, a parish, almost entirely within the borough of Peterborough, in Hunts, half a mile SW of Peterborough railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Peterborough. Population, within the borough of Peterborough, 1306; outside, 530. There is a parish council for the rural portion consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Tompson family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £225 with residence. The church, which was almost wholly rebuilt in 1844, and restored and enlarged in 1888, is a cruciform building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, aisles, N porch, and western tower. It has some ancient tombs and memorials.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodstone St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Woodstone (St. Augustine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.