Wyton or Witton, Huntingdonshire
Wyton or Witton, a village and a parish in Hunts, 2½ miles W by N of St Ives, where there is a station used by the G.E.R., G.N.R., and M.R. Post town, Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Houghton. Acreage, 1470; population, 136. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £406 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and modern tower with spire. Charles Fox was married in the church, and Home Tooke resided some years in the parsonage.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Witton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wyton or Witton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Witton, or Wytton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.