Water Newton, Huntingdonshire
Water Newton, a village and a parish in Hunts, on the river Nene, 1 mile S from Wansford station on the Northampton and Peterborough branch of the L & N.W.R., and 7 miles SW from Peterborough. There is a post office under Wansford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Wansford. Acreage, 883; population, 109. The manor, with all the land, belongs to the Marquis of Huntly. Roman coins and antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £200, in the gift of the Marquis of Huntly. The church, dedicated to St Remigius, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower with broach spire. It was restored in 1887. The parish was probably a part of the old Roman settlement of Durobrivse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Water Newton St. Remigius|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Water Newton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton, Water (St. Remigius))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.