Upwood, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 2½ miles SW of Ramsey station on the G.E.R. and G.N.R., and 8 NE from Huntingdon. Post town, Ramsey, under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Ramsey. Acreage, 2141; population of the civil parish, 413; of the ecclesiastical, with Great Raveley, 554. The manor belongs to the Hussey family; at one time it was the property of the Cromwell family. The living is a vicarage, united with Great Raveley, in the diocese of Ely; joint net value, £95 with residence. The church, which was restored and partly rebuilt in 1885, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with spire rebuilt in 1890, and containing three bells, one of which bears the inscription, "Henry Cromwell, Armiger, 1615." There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upwood St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upwood (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.