Upton, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire, 6 miles NNW of Huntingdon, and 4 from Abbots Ripton station on the G.N. R. main line, with a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Alconbury. Acreage, 1216; population of the civil parish, 104; of the ecclesiastical, with Coppingford, 178. The manor belongs to the Heathcote family. The living is a rectory, united with Coppingford, in the diocese of Ely; joint net value, £40. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is an ancient building partly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.