Toseland, a village and a parish in Hunts. The parish lies 3½ miles NE of St Neots station on the G.N.R. It was anciently a place of some importance, and the foundations of several early churches have been found. Post town, Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Offord D'Arcy. Acreage, 1342; population of the civil parish, 155; of the ecclesiastical, with Great and Little Paxton, 660. The manor house is a handsome ancient edifice, now occupied by a farmer. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Paxton. The church, which has been restored, is a small but ancient building of pebbles, faced with stone, in the Norman style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Toseland St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Toseland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Toseland (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.