Grandborough, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands 1½ mile S by E of Winslow station on the L. & N.W.R., and has a post office under Winslow; money order and telegraph office, North Marston. Acreage, 1580; population, 301. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £234 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower. At the restoration of the church in 1880, a "crismatory" was found buried in the chancel-arch, there being only one other specimen in England, at St Martin's, Canterbury. Preserved in the church are an alabaster altar-piece and a finely carved stone, remains of the Biggin Priory formerly connected with St Albans Abbey. Hollands the regicide's family lived in the parish for more than two centuries. Of the glebe, 22 acres are let by the vicar in labourers' allotments; 5 acres of land, part of which is given for church expenses by way of endowment, are divided into poor's lots, in lien of their right before the Enclosures Act to cut furze There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The parish church of St. John the Baptist, originally dedicated to God and St. Alban, is an ancient edifice of stone largely in the Early English style, but restored in the Perpendicular period, and consists of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, rehung in 1902, and a clock, erected in 1923: it was formerly a possession of the Abbey of St. Albans; some portions appear to date from the time of Richard II. or from an even earlier date: there is a low side window and piscina in the chancel, and a remarkable alabaster panel of the 15th century; in 1880 a small metal chrismatory, about 6 inches long, with three cruets, was discovered in a niche in the wall near the chancel arch; this very rare and interesting relic, anciently used in the ceremonies of baptism, confirmation and extreme unction in the Roman Catholic church, is preserved in a glass case in the church: a stained east window was erected in 1889 to the memory of the Rev. Arthur Newcombe M.A. vicar 1884-7; the church was restored in 1880-1: there are 120 sittings. In the churchyard is a stone cross with octagonal shafting and a three-tier base, on which are inscribed the names of those men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18.
Grandborough was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Grandborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online