Stilton, a village and a parish in Hunts. The village stands on Ermine Street, 4 miles NW by W of Holme station on the main line of the G.N.R., and 6 SSW of Peterborough. It was once a market-town, and gives name to the finest English cheese, now made chiefly in Leicestershire. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Peterborough. The parish comprises 1638 acres; population, 560. There as a parish council consisting of nine members. The Fens adjoin the parish on the E, and an extent of about 3 miles is known as Stilton Fen. There is a county police station in the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, N door, and an embattled western tower. It has brasses of 1573, 1590, 1606, and 1618. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Gospel Hall, a temperance hall, six endowed almshouses, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stilton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description for Stilton from Pigot & Co. Directory of Huntingdonshire, 1839
We have transcribed the entry for Stilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stilton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.