Standground, a parish, with a large village, in Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire, on the river Nen, 1½ mile SE of the Peterborough stations on the G.E.R., L. & N.W.R., and M.R. It has a post office under Peterborough; money order office, Peterborough; telegraph office, Old Fletton. Acreage, 1287 in Hunts and 1108 in Cambridgeshire; population of the civil parish, 1230; of the ecclesiastical, 1272. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members. The manor belongs to the Westwood family. The Manor House and Gazly Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £532 with residence. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is a fine edifice of Barnack stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with N chantry, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower surmounted by an octagonal broach spire. It has some modern stained windows and some ancient brasses and memorials. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels and several useful charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Standground St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Peterborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Standground from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Standground (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.