UK Genealogy Archives logo

Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

Historical Description

Gerrard's Cross, a village and an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1861 out of the parishes of Fulmer, Chalfont St Peter's, Iver, Langley Marish, and Upton-cum-Chalvey, in Bucks. The village stands 3 miles ESE of Beaconsfield, and 6 N by E of Slough station on the G.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Population of parish, 605. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £400 with residence. The church is a memorial one to Major-General Reid by his sisters the Misses Reid, stands on a wide common, was built in 1859 after designs by Tite, and is in the Romanesque style. The Pilgrim's Home here, founded by the late Sir J. W. Alexander, Bart, was bequeathed by him to the Pilgrims' Friend Society. Bulstrode Park is a chief residence.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBuckinghamshire 
Civil parishChalfont St Peter 
HundredBurnham 
Poor Law unionAmersham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1861.


Churches

Church of England

St. James, London Road (parish church)

The parish church of St. James, situated on the south side of the London and Oxford road, was erected by the Misses Reid in memory of their brother, Maj.-Gen. Reid, formerly M.P. for Windsor, and is a cruciform building in the Byzantine style of various coloured bricks and stone, from designs by Sir William Tite knt. architect, and consists of chancel; nave, transepts, an octagonal dome rising above the intersection surmounted by a gilt cross and flanked by four turrets, and a campanile containing a clock with three dials and 5 bells: there are sittings for 440 persons.


Civil Registration

Gerrards Cross was in Eton Registration District from 1895 to 1974


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gerrards Cross from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Gerrards Cross are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online

DistrictSouth Bucks
CountyBuckinghamshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSL9
Post TownGerrards Cross