Spaldwick, a large village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Kimbolton, and, 21 NW from Grafham station on the M.R. It has a post and money order office under Huntingdon; telegraph office, Ellington. Acreage of the civil parish, 1552; population, 300; of the ecclesiastical, 357. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester, who also owns much of the land. The village formerly had a fair for cattle on the Wednesday before Whit Sunday, but this has become obsolete. The living is a vicarage with Barham annexed in the diocese of Ely; gross joint value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is a fine edifice of stone in the Transition Norman, Early English, and Later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, with chapel and an arcade of four bays, S porch, and a western tower with a lofty broach spire. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Spaldwick St. James|
|Poor Law union||Huntingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spaldwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spaldwick (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Spaldwick are available from a number of sites: