Southoe, a village and a parish in Hunts, 2½ miles NNW of St Neots station on the G.N.R., and 6 SW from Huntingdon. There is a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Buckden. Acreage, 1499; population of the civil parish, 223; of the ecclesiastical, with Hail Weston, 530. The manor belonged formerly to the Lovetotes, John of Gaunt, and the Pickerings. The living is a rectory, united with Hail Weston, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross value, £300 with residence. The church is a fine ancient building of brick, stone, and nibble, in the Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southoe St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Southoe (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.