Pidley cum Fenton, Huntingdonshire
Pidley-cum-Fenton, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 2½ miles W by N of Somersham station on the St Ives, March, and Wisbech section of the G.E.R., and 5 NNE of St Ives. Post town, Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Somersham. Acreage, 3752; population, 388. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. Brickmaking is carried on at Fenton. Much of the surface is fen. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely; joint net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church was rebuilt in 1864-65 at a cost of £1100, is in the Early English style, and has a tower and tiled spire. There are an endowed school and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pidley cum Fenton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Fenton, dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, situated at the north end of the village, and built by subscription in 1864-5, at a cost of about £1,1OO, is a small building externally of stone and inside of brick, in the Early English style, from designs by Mr. William Fawcett, of Cambridge, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with low spire containing 3 bells: there are 250 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pidley cum Fenton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pidley cum Fenton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.