Old Hurst, Huntingdonshire
Hurst, Old, a parish in Huntingdonshire, 3½ miles WSW from Somersham station on the G.N. and G.E. Joint railway, and 4 NNW from St Ives. It has a post office under Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Warboys. Acreage, 1077; population, 107. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St Ives, in the diocese of Ely. The church consists of nave and chancel, and has an Early English door.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hurst St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from 1682; marriages, 1653; burials, 1691.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church, or more properly the chapel, of St. Peter is a small edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, and has 2 bells hanging at the west end of the building: the screen which separates the chancel and nave has been restored; an ancient stone altar-slab, found during the restoration, and a piscina of pure Norman work, supported on a single shaft, and found embedded in the wall, have been replaced, and a holy-water stoup was discovered in the south wall: the doorway is particularly fine, as also are the windows on the south side: seats for the choir are ingeniously formed by lowering the sills of the chancel windows: the east window is beautifully stained: the whole church was restored in 1868 at a cost of £400, under the direction of Mr. W. White, architect: the church was formerly larger, and the base of one of the columns of an aisle arcade now lies in the churchyard: there are 80 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Old Hurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hurst, Old (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.