Offord Darcy, Huntingdonshire
Offord Darcy, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, and on the G.N.R., half a mile S of Offord station, and 4½ miles NNE of St Neots. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Huntingdon. The parish comprises 1866 acres; population, 373. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged formerly to the Nailours, and belongs now to the Thornhill family. The manor house is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £102 with residence. The church is of the 12th century; consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with spire; was restored in 1861, and contains a piscina, a mutilated brass of 1377, three other brasses, and monuments of the Nailours. There is a Baptist chapel, which was erected in 1840.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Offord-Darcy St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1697.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, erected about the 12th century, consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and all embattled western tower, with spire, containing 3 bells: there is a mutilated brass, with kneeling effigy in academic costume, to an ecclesiastic, c. 1530; and three brass effigies, the lower portions of which are lost, to Sir Laurence Pabenham, ob. 1400, and his wives Elizabeth (Engeyne), ob. 1377, and Joan (Dawbeney), engraved about 1440, and two matrices of crosses with half effigies: there are 150 sittings.
There is a Union (Baptist and Congregational) chapel, erected in 1844.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Offord Darcy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Offord-Darcy (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.