Offord Cluny, Huntingdonshire
Offord Cluny, a village and a parish in Huntingdonshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, and on the G.N.R., at Offord railway station, 1½ mile E by S of Buckden, and 5 miles NNE of St Neots; was known to the Saxons as Offanford, and has a bridge of three arches over the Ouse leading to Buckden. Post town, Huntingdon; money order and telegraph office, Offord Darcy. The parish comprises 1062 acres; population, 263. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of rubble in the Early English style consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Offord-Cluny All Saints|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1572.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, probably erected in the 13th century, is a building of rubble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1860, and has 200 sittings: the churchyard was enlarged in 1882 by an addition on the south side of a piece of ground, about half an acre, the gift of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is a list of rectors from 1219.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Offord Cluny from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Offord-Cluny (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.