Little Paxton, Huntingdonshire
Paxton, Little, a parish, with a village, in Hunts, on the river Ouse, 1½ mile N by W of St Neot's station on the G.N. main line. It has a post and money order office under St Neot's; telegraph office, St Neot's. Acreage, 1522; population, 243. Paxton Park is the seat of the Gordon family, and Paxton Hall of the Reynolds family. There are extensive paper-mills. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Great Paxton, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross value, £341 with residence. The church, a building of stone and pebbles in the Early English style, consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower, and contains memorials of the Eeynoldses and a monument to Mr T. Throckmorton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Paxton St. James|
|Poor Law union||St. Neots|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including marriages for Toseland parish, dates from the year 1559.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is a building of pebbles and stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and a peal of 4 bells: in the chancel are memorials to the Reynolds family, and in the aisle a monument to T. Throckmorton esq.: there are 145 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Paxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Paxton, Little (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.