Keyston, a parish, with a village, in Huntingdonshire, adjacent to Northamptonshire, 4 miles ESE of Thrapston, and 2½ NE from Raunds station on the M.R. It has a post office under Thrapston; money order office, Thrapston; telegraph office, Raunds railway station. Acreage, 2691; population, 208. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £192 with residence. The church is a fine cruciform structure of the 14th century, has a W tower, with lofty spire, and contains some monumental slabs. The N transept was once a private chapel, and perhaps the burial-place of Lord Fen'ers, who was interred in the church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Keyston St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the latter part of the year 1634.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, of the end of the 12th century, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and a western tower with a handsome doorway and a lofty octagonal broach spire, relieved by three tiers of dormers on the cardinal sides and contains 5 bells: the north transept is supposed to have been formerly the private chapel and burial place of the de Ferrers family, barons Ferrers of Chartley, Staffs: the edifice was partially restored in 1883-4, at a cost of £1,000, and in 1898 the roofs of the south aisle and transept were restored, at a cost of £250; in 1904-5 the chancel was new roofed, reseated and furnished in oak and the walls partially restored, at a cost of about £400: in 1908 the steeple was repainted and windows protected with wire, and a lightning conductor erected: in 1909 the bells were renovated: there are 250 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Keyston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Keyston (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Huntindonshire is available to browse.